Party at KDE kicks off Greek Week

Beginning tonight with an open party at Kappa Delta Epsilon, the Co-ed Fraternity Sorority Council will kick off a week-long celebration of Greek unity at Dartmouth and offer a chance for Greek members to participate in a variety of community service activities.

Greek Week, which organizers said is a popular spring attraction at other colleges and universities, will be highlighted by a number of events including a Greek Olympics on Thursday, a Webster Avenue block party on Friday and a charity car wash on Sunday.

Karen Yen ’99, the programming liaison for CFSC who is heading up Greek Week, said this year’s Greek Week block party is replacing the CFSC’s traditional Green Key block party, so she hopes Dartmouth students will show up and take part in this week’s Greek festivities.

Yen said she thinks that it will be a great opportunity for Greek unity.

Citing a lack of chances for unified activities in the past, Yen said, “It is very easy to get wrapped up in our individual houses and forget that we are one system.” She added that this is the first Greek Week in Dartmouth’s history and its success will depend largely on student turnout.

However, Yen is not the only one hoping to get good Greek exposure.

CFSC President John Muckle ’99, said he wants to expose the campus to the Greek system through positive programming activities.

“A big part of Greek Week is charity work,” Muckle said, “Over 350 Greek house members will be participating in DarCorps this Saturday and in community service throughout the week for such national and local charities as the American Diabetes Association and Good Beginnings, a program to help out recently unemployed area families.”

Although some of the activities are specifically for Greek members, most, including the block party, are open to the entire Dartmouth community.

Muckle and Yen stress the week won’t be all work and no play though. Both said the most exciting activity should be Dating Doctor David Coleman, who was named the 1997 outstanding lecture entertainer of the year. He will be holding a Creative Dating Workshop Thursday at 8 p.m. in 105 Dartmouth Hall.

The program is open to all Dartmouth students and topics addressed will include “9 ways to impress a man/woman” and “The Showdown,” which is the last 5 minutes of a date.

“A lot of people complain about the dating scene here, so hopefully it will start a revolution on campus,” Yen said.

The organizers of Greek week hope that with activities ranging from the Dating Doctor to barbecues and toga parties, this week will mark the start of a Dartmouth tradition and many Greek Weeks to come.

Top Stories