Dining guide, discount card on the way

Within the next two weeks, students will receive their Student Advantage cards and Upper Valley dining guides in their Hinman Boxes, courtesy of the Student Assembly.

In past years, students received the card and dining guide at registration, but the Assembly changed the distribution this year in an attempt to lower costs and reach more students, according to Assembly spokesman Scott Rowekamp ’97.

“The Student Advantage Card is a discount program that is both local and national,” Rowekamp said. Students receive the card for free and can use it to get 10 to 20 percent discounts at “almost every business in town.”

The cards usually cost $20 each, but Rowekamp said the Assembly “cut a deal,” with the Student Advantage company and Assembly paid only about $2,500 to obtain cards for all students.

Rowekamp said the card’s distribution has been delayed because the Assembly had to print up envelopes and then send the envelopes to Student Advantage to be stuffed with cards.

Rowekamp said a number of students did not receive cards last year, when the cards were distributed at registration.

“We’re sacrificing time to make sure the cards go out to every single student,” Rowekamp said.

Student Advantage, a Boston-based company, also produces the dining guide, which is a booklet including menus for local restaurants.

Rowekamp said the Assembly purchased the guides for $1,000 this year, so they will be free to students. Rowekamp the guides were delayed because the Assembly was negotiating with Student Advantage over the price.

“Last year, we paid far too much for the guide,” Rowekamp said. “We paid $2,500. This year, we told them to cut the price or they would not get our business.”

The guide and the card are being shipped separately, and Rowekamp said the Assembly would put them in the HBs as soon as they arrive.

Rowekamp, who was also the Summer Assembly vice president, said the Assembly has already established a home page on the World Wide Web for an online course guide.

The course guide contains descriptions and reviews of more than 20 Dartmouth courses, Rowekamp said.

“It’s not quite ready yet,” said Meredith Epstein ’97, vice president of the Assembly’s committee on student services. “All that has to be done is more courses added.”

Epstein said the online course guide should be open for use to the public by the end of the term.

The guide reflects research performed by the Assembly concerning how students judge various Dartmouth courses.

The committee on academic affairs, chaired by Brandon del Pozo ’96, has the task of continually updating the course guide.

Freshmen have already received newsletters from the Assembly. Epstein said Simone Swink ’98 put together the newsletters, which included information about all of Dartmouth’s student activity groups.

Top Stories