Theme and events celebrate raggae legend Bob Marley

This year’s Green Key theme, “A Tribute to Bob Marley” was chosen to celebrate what would have been the 50th birthday of the Jamaican-born reggae legend, according to Kathy Keyser ’96, the Programming Board’s Green Key Committee co-Chair.

Marley died of cancer in Miami on May 11, 1981.

Linda Kennedy, Student Programs Coordinator, said the Bob Marley tribute was the only idea for a theme.

This is only the second time in history that Green Key Weekend has had a theme. Last year the Programming Board instituted the theme “Helldorado,” named after summer festivals held in the western states.

Students had mixed reactions to this year’s theme.

Paulette Salmon ’95 said, “It’s interesting because I was just in Jamaica and was exposed to his music — every day, all day. But it doesn’t strike me as something that would interest the Dartmouth community as a whole.”

Cara Hobbs ’97 said she likes the theme. “Bob Marley is a musician who a lot of people like. People might have varying tastes for music, but most people can agree on Bob Marley,” she said.

The Green Key t-shirt will have “Green Key 1995″ written on the front, and it will have the Dartmouth seal with a lion’s paw on the back, Keyser said. She said the t-shirts will be sold on the Green for about $10.

The Green Key events scheduled to take place on the Green tomorrow will represent different aspects of Caribbean culture in conjunction with this weekend’s theme.

Lambsbread, a reggae band from Burlington, Vt., will be performing for three hours, Keyser said.

“I believe they have performed at [Sigma Alpha Epsilon fraternity] in the past,” she said.

The celebration will include food and music reminiscent of Caribbean culture. Kennedy said the Programming Board will work in conjunction with AfriCaso, the College’s African and Caribbean students organization.

AfriCaso will compete in an exhibition cricket match on the Green with Milan, the South Asian students organization.

“Cricket is a game played in the Caribbean as well as England but not necessarily in this country,” Keyser said.

Members of AfriCaso have also volunteered to cook samples of Caribbean food.

“We are even importing spices,” said Lisana Gabriel ’96, the committee’s other co-Chair. “Not from other countries, but from home,” she said.

Students of Jamaican descent will barbecue jerked chicken, which has a special seasoning.

“The spices are available in New York and other metropolitan areas but not around here,” said Suzanne Lambert ’97, the AfriCaso member who is in charge of the food for the celebration.

Rice and peas, another traditional Caribbean dish, will also be available for students to sample. In addition, students can wash everything down with ginger beer and kola champagne.

“It sounds like they’re alcoholic, but they’re not,” Lambert said.”They are popular drinks in the Caribbean.”

“Ginger beer is a tangy drink made from ginger root, and kola champagne is a red sort of soda,” Lambert said. “I’ve never tried anything like it.”

“I’m looking forward to some familiar food,” Lambert said. “At home we’re accustomed to spicy food, but college food tends to be more bland.”

“It will show people a bit of the culture, because everybody is always asking questions,” she said. “It won’t be extremely accurate, but they’ll get an idea.”

Keyser said she has contacted all of the organizations funded by the Council on Student Organizations to see if they are interested in setting up booths on the Green.

Some booths may offer massages or the chance to dunk a fellow student into a tank of water. Organizations are also welcome to have activities centered around the Bob Marley theme, according to Kennedy.

The Programming Board is offering a cash prize for the best booth, according to Gabriel.

The traditional Green Key Olympics will be a part of the Green’s festivities again this year with prizes for the winners. Teams consisting of five or six people compete in “fun, obstacle course activities like running through tires,” Gabriel said.

Dave Grelotti ’96, who is co-planning the Olympics with Andrew Koh ’96, said “The events will basically be the same things we did last year that we know go over well.”

Grelotti said the events will include an egg toss, a three-legged race and a 100-meter crawl among others.

Teams must have a minimum of two people but can have as many as 10, Grelotti said. Registration will be held today.

“We’ll tell them what time to show up and to bring an extra set of clothes in case they lose the first set,” Grelotti said.

Craft tables and a volleyball court will also be set up on the Green for student and community participation.

The events are scheduled for Saturday afternoon from noon until five, but they will be rescheduled for Sunday in case of inclement weather.

Top Stories