Talented freshmen, experienced team may lead golf to NCAA’s

The 1995 Dartmouth men’s golf team promises to be one of the school’sfinest in the past 10 years. The team combines experience provided by senior co-Captains Alec Dicks and Bryan Kim and talented youth in the form of MacKenzie Hurd ’98, Jay Danzi ’98 and Steve Sugarman ’97.

Dartmouth enters the spring season ranked third in the New England region behind the University of Connecticut and Hartford. The team’s goal is to finish in the top two in the region, which would qualify it for an NCAA berth.

One of the keys to a successful season will be the confident Dicks. He has been a consistent performer the past three years, finally emerging in the fall when he finished second in the ECAC qualifier. The team will call upon Dicks again this year, not only for his strong play but also for his leadership with the younger members.

The second link in the chain is the steady Kim. After playing the past two years as the number one golfer for the Dartmouth team, Kim is looking to build on his past successes and earn an NCAA berth. Kim’s success is a result of his intense work ethic.

“Bryan really applied himself this winter. He worked in the cages and reasserted himself on spring trip,” Coach Bill Johnson said.

This work seemed to pay off as Kim played extremely well in the team’s trip to Florida. Bryan’s performance over the past four years places him in a prime position for receiving an individual berth to the NCAA tournament.

Apart from his personal success Kim sees good things for the team this year. “I think the entire team began to coalesce during the trip to Florida. We should be contenders this year.”

Johnson echoed this enthusiasm. “If the guys play to their capabilities we can finish anywhere in the top three,” he said.

One of the main reasons for this optimism is the great group of underclassmen. The best of this bunch is Hurd.

Hurd capped off a successful fall by winning the ECAC tournament at Colgate, one of the more formidable courses in the East. This, along with his strong play throughout the fall, placed him in a dead heat with Kim for the number one spot. His average score of 73.65 makes him also a strong candidate for the NCAAs.

The next of the great freshmen is Jay Danzi, who doubles as a basketball player in the winter.

After a slow start in the fall that may have been due in part to his participation in basketball, Danzi is beginning to come into his own, and he will be called upon heavily this spring.

The last of the “starting five” for the team is Sugarman. He has come along steadily in his two years on the team and will be an integral piece in the road to the NCAA tournament.

The supporting players for this year’s team are Jay Lavender ’97, Bill Buggie ’95, Dave Kantrovitz ’97 and Mike Bolf ’96.

The Big Green will begin their chase of an NCAA invitation this weekend when they take part in the Yale Invitational, which attracts 20 of the top teams in the Northeast. Dicks sees this as being a great chance for the team to get into the “swing” of things.

“The Yale tournament will be a good indication of how far we will go this year,” he said.

Top Stories